finding yourself

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."

I was riding in the car and saw this message posted on a car repair shop sign. It was one of those sign boards that spell out the letters with little light bulbs. We were at a stop light and in slow traffic, and when I first saw the sign it read: "Honk if you need an oil change." While I was pondering how a honk-for-oil system would work, the message changed and I was surprised to read the above quote since it had nothing to do with cars or automobile fluid.

Normally I don't really go in for quotes or sayings, but this one struck a chord in me. A lot of people go on vision quests or try to fix quarter or half-life crises or simple dissatisfaction by going to some new place to "find yourself." But what this quote is saying to me is that all that doesn't really matter; you won't find yourself by transplanting somewhere else. What matters is you making yourself the person that you want to be. That's when you'll find yourself.

I guess what I like about that philosophy is the implication that life improvement doesn't come from vacations or vision quests, from getting away from things you don't like. It comes from making the most out of where you are in the now.