traveling

6:30am
I'm off to Texas for a class this week. I am planning on bringing my camera with me... not my usual 20D DSLR, but my rangefinder! It's actually one of my favorite cameras-- compact size for a film camera, but built like a tank (I think I could actually use it as a weapon if need be). It takes beautiful nostalgic pictures. The in focus parts are crisp and sharp, and the out of focus background parts are beautifully distorted.

The rangefinder was the camera of choice of photojournalists in the first half of the 20th century, before the SLR came onto the market in the 1950's. French photographer Henri Cartier-Bresson, known for his photos of "the decisive moment" on the streets of Paris, Europe, and all over the world, shot with a Leica rangefinder. Interestingly, HCB, who began as a painter, retired from photography completely for the last 30 or so years of his life and went back to painting and drawing. He viewed photography as simply an instantaneous method of creating a drawing (NPR).

cool shot: British Museum by 2plus2isfive