writing again

My days are quite free now since my job ended last week. Amidst job searching and applying to school I am determined to use my days well. One of the things I wanted to do was to blog again. My life is full and I feel content, often busily so, but I miss thinking and writing. Even though I don’t brood as much as I used to, I think that there is a measure of good in journaling and pondering.

I read a New Yorker article about the journal entries of Susan Sontag which are going to be published posthumously. She wrote something along the lines of stating that the act of journaling is important because it is in that place that we think about ourselves and so really make who we are. Kind of an abstract idea, but it struck me as true… studying history is important to keep the past mistakes and triumphs of humankind in memory. In the same way, journals keep our personal past mistakes and triumphs in memory, and we can learn from ourselves. We can see ourselves in an entirely different way when we set down on paper or keyboard what we have done or what has been done to us. And we can see what we have done in our pasts and try to make our futures better if we are aware of who we are and our habits and pitfalls.