Book: A Degree of Mastery

Bookbinding is one of my occasional hobbies. I use the word "hobby" lightly, however, since what passes for a book for me would probably send master craftsmen shuddering and rolling all over the world. But I enjoy working and creating things with my hands, and I like books. It's the perfect combination! At the library I was looking for some resources on making books, and came across a book about a bookbinder who apprenticed (yes, those still exist!) herself to one of the master bookbinders and paper conservators in the country.

A Degree of Mastery: A Journey through Book Arts Apprenticeship, by Annie Tremmel Wilcox. The cover had a beautiful close-up photograph of an old book with frayed edges and golden pages, and really captured the idea of the book as a work of art. The story followed Annie's experience as an apprentice, learning the incredibly minute details that go into book conservation: washing pages, trimming leather, even some woodworking. The love that she felt for the books that surrounded her was almost tangible, and I really appreciated the craft that used to go into making books.

A great deal of the book dealt with the relationship with her mentor, Bill Anthony, who was truly dedicated to the art of book craftsmanship. He was a patient instructor and believed in learning by doing, which in that field meant learning techniques on books hundreds of years old! He was completely devoted to not only his jobs at hand, but in continuing the practice and education of book conservation.

I really enjoyed drinking in the day to day details of what life is like as a bookbinding apprentice. I have a completely new degree of respect for the work spent on making and conserving books.

A Degree of Mastery: A Journey through Book Arts Apprenticeship, by Annie Tremmel Wilcox