forgiveness

Forgiveness and reconciliation is at the crux (pun intended) of the Christian faith. But what I've found is that I simply can't forgive myself and others-- it doesn't come easily and doesn't feel natural. The times that I have been able to forgive have taken blood, sweat, tears, and often the efforts of others to encourage and push me along in the process. And usually a lot of time.

What's often even harder is forgiving myself of things I know were wrong or I feel ashamed of. But I can't be God and stand in judgment on myself or others if I say I believe in Jesus and what the cross and resurrection stand for. Doing so gives power back to sin and Satan, and keeps my ears closed to how God is speaking into this world and my life.

I don't want to wallow in bitterness and anger for the rest of my life. If I'm to be like Jesus, to be like the Father, and to be a part of God's kingdom coming on this earth, I have to be a part of the forgiveness and reconciliation that I know He wants to be everywhere. I know God wants to end brokenness here, and I have to stop, raise my eyes up from the dirt, and ask Him for help.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (ESV)
Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Romans 8:1-4 (ESV)
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.