putting quotes into action
What makes a good quote? To me, it's often concise, encapsulating a deeply profound idea using a minimum of words. Also, it's usually one by a famous person whom I admire for what he/she did during their life. Because a quote by them doesn't just stand alone, but also is taken in context of what they are known for.
The best quotes-- and I think this would vary from person to person, are the ones which actually motivate you to do or act in a different way. Ones which take you one step closer to the person that you want to be. Because as nice as quotes look put up on your wall, they're just decoration unless put into action.
One of my goals for this upcoming year is to put into action a pretty famous, near-cliched quote:
You must be the change you want to see in the world.
~ Mahatma Gandhi
The idea here is that when I'm discontent with things around me, or things about myself that I want to change and improve-- to think about what I can do about it, and then actually do it. Not just sit back and complain.
I want to conquer inertia in my life and do things.
