Brine Shrimp Journal 2012
2/4/2012: I was pouring the tank into a plastic bottle with the top cut off to aerate the water. But accidentally spilled maybe 1/2 a cup on the table!! I had no way to get the water back into the tank so all I could do was wipe it up with a paper towel and effectively kill probably hundreds of shrimp. wah.
Also the water is starting to smell kind of rancid. I think it may be from bacteria from the egg shells left over and rotting-- I've tried cleaning some of it up with a paper towel since they float on the top. Need to get a pipette to suction it off. I found a plastic syringe and pumped it several times into the water to add oxygen so the shrimp get enough (bacteria will eat up O2, which makes the shrimp suffocate). I don't know if it was just my imagination but a few hours later it didn't seem to smell too bad. Good thing my tank has a lid anyway!
2/1/2012: Brine shrimp hatched after 1 day! It seems like thousands are swimming around like mad. Cool to see, but I feel a bit bad because I think a lot of them will end up dying-- maybe should use less eggs next time?
1/31/2012: Started a new batch of brine shrimp from brine shrimp eggs and sea salt mix with a bit of baking soda. I'm using a glass tank which fits on top of my glass desk lamp for warmth. I'm hoping the fluorescent bulb will also promote algae growth later on!