Back in the saddle
I've restarted studying Japanese, for a variety of different reasons. And it's going well so far. Before I was just trying to chip away at the kanji in RTK and it got a bit old I think. Because just learning the keywords is only the first step to learning Japanese words, the kanji themselves don't do very much in terms of applicable skills if you don't know any vocab or even pronunciation!
This time I'm trying a few different things at the same time: hiragana/katakana, kanji, and vocab. The variety keeps me engaged, and hopefully will be better for the long term.
Hiragana/katakana: I targeted this first, and am finished with them! What's nice is that even if I don't know what exactly I'm reading, I can at least sound it out.
Kanji: Surprisingly, I've retained some of the characters even after almost two years since last giving up. Right now am trying to catch up in reviews in Anki, and then will probably try to go for 10-12/day. That'll have me finishing the first 2042 kanji in about 6 months. I can live with that :)
Vocab: I'm working on the Core2k/6k Nukemarine deck in Anki, doing 2 new cards a day. There are 400 vocab words in the first section which I'm supposed to finish in about 6 months too. I have Japanese on the front and English on the back because trying to go the other way I had like zero retention and it got frustrating pretty quick. I think the idea I'd that when I've finished with kanji I can do vocab to figure out what kanji is used in the word.
Grammar haven't started yet, but I may add that in at 2/day using the Tae Kim deck. We'll see how do with the other stuff first I guess.
That's all for now. I'm trying to keep this updated to track my learning experience!
