Blog update 9/22/2018

Just wanted to write a small update about writing! Writing content has been the most difficult part of this whole blogging thing. Which is really not great since by definition blogging entails writing! But I think I've started to hit my stride (a bit).

I've been doing like 1 post every MONTH or so, or even every 2 months. Bad. But the most recent post I wrote, while yes, I started outlining it probably a month ago, the writing started out difficult but ended up going really well.

It was originally going to be a step by step guide on building a one page responsive website. I started outlining it, and pretty quickly realized it would end being a really huge 10,000 word post. Which isn't bad in itself, but I think it might require being a video instead.

Also, I was trying to figure out good blog post topics that could sort of foray into similar content that I'd eventually make a course out of. So I could see how popular those types of posts would be, and determine if a course on that topic would do well.

So there was a few stops and starts, and I had started two different versions of the article, but it didn't quite feel right.

Then I started just planning out my potential course idea and planning out a set of post ideas that I could work on. And I guess figuring out that framework made something click about how this post (on building a simple website layout from a wireframe) could be structured.

And I figured out what the post would be about, and how much detail to go into with the demo website so it wouldn't be insanely long. But still able to make the post about a compelling topic.

Looking back I have no idea why it was so hard for me to get started. But anyway, once I figured out the scope of the article, as well as how it would fit into the greater body of content on the blog, I felt ready to go. I knew exactly what I would write about.

Even after I started writing, though, I had a hard time staying focused. Part of it was the fact that I spent a tonnn of time last weekend optimizing the website. I'd actually written 2 "best of" posts for affiliate content, installed Google Analytics and set up some click events, applied to more affiliate programs, and redesigned my website. A lot of energy had gone into all that work, which might explain why I had trouble focusing on writing and finishing this dang post!

However when I restarted working on the post again, I ended up making an Instagram post about how I was *still* working on this article (that I had originally mentioned on Instagram a few weeeks prior). So I think due to that, I felt real social pressure on myself that I needed to finish it and just get it out there.

It's surprising what some accountability, even just perceived accountability, can do. I had posted about how I was having writer's block on Tuesday. I was also trying to work on some freelance work, so it was a bit busy.

Thursday night I had started feeling like I was getting some momentum in writing, but wasn't done yet. Also my freelance work had freed up a bit, at least enough that I wasn't going to have any people chatting me, for the most part. So on Friday I had a relatively clear day, and in the morning I realized that if I just powered through, I could actually finish the darn thing and finish it once and for all.

So I did. I finished writing in the Google doc, then pasted the text into Wordpress, optimized all my screenshot images, formatted everything, and hit the publish button! Then I was able to share it on Instagram and made it my Friday post. I may stick with Friday for my new blog posts, because I've noticed that I'll often get a surge of likes on Fridays as opposed to other days.

It felt incredibly good to finish that article. Also, because I had written about 1200 words just on Friday morning (if I'm remembering rightly), it really opened my eyes to just how much work I can do if I buckle down and churn it out.

So far I've gotten good reception. Lots of great comments on Instagram of people saying they were psyched to read the article, and I even got an email from a mother in her 40s who is teaching herself to code! It feels good because I feel like I'm doing something good in the world.

Honestly, I like freelance work because I do love building websites. But if I could truly spend 20 hrs/wk working on Coder Coder, I would really be excited.

I currently feel like Coder Coder is starting to really get traction (altho I always feel that way). I was approached by a computer glasses brand to review a free pair of glasses that they would mail to me-- one thing off my wishlist to happen, getting free swag from companies! And my web traffic is continuing to go up.

What I'd like to see in the near future is making some real money off of affiliate offers. I'm thinking of new ways I can promote affiliate offers-- maybe making my own banner ad type blocks and putting it in the sidebar, or at the end of posts. I'm getting people clicking on the homepage "best of" posts, so it's working.

I just need more traffic. It's a numbers game, honestly.

While I would love to create and put out a course, I really, truly shouldn't think about it yet. I need to get good at my bread and butter-- posting on Instagram, and writing articles on the blog. Because those will increase my readership and my followers, and will hopefully start to bring in some money.

Looking forward to the future! I'm optimistic that I can start writing posts more quickly and get more consistent in the content creation part of all of this.