Blog update 5/22/2019

I feel like I always say this, but it really feels like the blog is picking up!

I should break 30,000 sessions this month, and if I'm lucky $100 in affiliate earnings.

Instagram in particular is going very well. I'm getting closer to 30k followers, and I've also realized that my follower count is giving me street cred in other places. For example, I joined Indie Hackers, an online community, and when I shared how I broke 25k followers on Instagram, I got a lot of questions and upvotes.

In addition, my IG approach of being the polar opposite of most female devs there who try to go the lifestyle / IG "model" direction, seems to be panning out. I've had multiple existing good brands contact me for collaborations, and it always turns out that I'm the first Instagrammer that they have reached out to. I think my style and educational approach is building up a lot of perceived authority for my own brand. So I'm really psyched about that. I'm hoping to get a couple sponsorships in the next month or so.

Content creation is getting a bit easier-- I did a couple posts + YouTube videos recently in a relatively smaller span of time. Eventually I want to be able to create one post/video per week, but at the moment I'm trying to focus on creating my first course.

My course is going to be for beginners, and will build a simple responsive website as a way of teaching responsive design skills. I've wireframed the website out in Adobe XD, which is a very cool tool. And right now I'm just starting to build the website itself.

After that, the plan is to create a written version of the whole tutorial and release that as an eBook. And then record a video version of the course, working with J to make it unique, creative, and cool.

One of the people I read about on Indie Hackers created his own course in React as just an eBook, and now a second course that's just video. And he is bringing in 3k per month. So my plan is to release the course in tiers-- either just the eBook, or eBook + videos for more. In the long run, I'd like to be able to create a new course every 3-6 months? I can figure that part out later. The fact is, creating and selling your own courses is by far the best way to generate income online.

I'm feeling relatively optimistic about being able to start making money from courses. Maybe I'm thinking too big, but I am predicting that although I don't get a lot of traffic from Instagram to my website, I may get a decent amount of customers from Instagram. We'll see.

After J leaves his job next week, he's going to be able to help me with more YouTube stuff! I really think that together we can make some really high quality tutorial videos. I'm sure there will be road bumps, but I am quite optimistic that we will be able to work through them.