Blog update 1/17/18
Writing is hard. Writing consistently is even harder!
My "easy" goal of one post a week is turning out to be harder than I thought. Part of it is that I want to write long form posts with high quality content that often requires some research. So those will naturally take longer to write. But honestly, I just haven't gotten the habit down yet.
I'm currently working on a post about how to start learning web development and to create your own roadmap or curriculum. I've outlined it but haven't started writing. Part of me wants to write another post of an idea I have in my head-- a semi-rant against people who turn their noses up at Wordpress. But that would be procrastinating and also I don't think being ranty is necessarily the tone I want my readers to read.
The good news is that due to my 2 really good Medium posts (that second one that I talked about in my last update turned out to also be quite popular!), my email subscribers are over 200, leaning toward 300! That's amazing. It's incredible to me that 300 people would be interested in my content. Obviously there will be unsubscribes over time, but I'm just floored.
Using Medium has been a really good strategy for getting email subscribers. If you write good content on a big publication, then you can get thousands of views. And I customized the MailChimp scripts for signups to enable myself to set up multiple content upgrades that can be downloaded immediately. Adding those content upgrades have been really awesome.
So far, the strategies that I've found useful so far are:
My "easy" goal of one post a week is turning out to be harder than I thought. Part of it is that I want to write long form posts with high quality content that often requires some research. So those will naturally take longer to write. But honestly, I just haven't gotten the habit down yet.
I'm currently working on a post about how to start learning web development and to create your own roadmap or curriculum. I've outlined it but haven't started writing. Part of me wants to write another post of an idea I have in my head-- a semi-rant against people who turn their noses up at Wordpress. But that would be procrastinating and also I don't think being ranty is necessarily the tone I want my readers to read.
The good news is that due to my 2 really good Medium posts (that second one that I talked about in my last update turned out to also be quite popular!), my email subscribers are over 200, leaning toward 300! That's amazing. It's incredible to me that 300 people would be interested in my content. Obviously there will be unsubscribes over time, but I'm just floored.
Using Medium has been a really good strategy for getting email subscribers. If you write good content on a big publication, then you can get thousands of views. And I customized the MailChimp scripts for signups to enable myself to set up multiple content upgrades that can be downloaded immediately. Adding those content upgrades have been really awesome.
So far, the strategies that I've found useful so far are:
- Write on Medium (if your audience is there), and get added as a writer to a large publication.
- Use the Medium URL of your article (not your own website) to promote to social media and your email list-- this will give your Medium article more views which will push it up a bit more. This is only useful if you can get hits from those sources.
- Set up an email list
- Use content upgrades and subscribe CTAs in your Medium posts
- Write consistently! -- this is what I'm finding difficult.